Welcome to Word Game Leagues
If you play the word game Upwords on a mobile device, and you want to play in a structured environment, this is the place for you.
The structured environment of life in the leagues is not for everyone, but it can be very rewarding. Events are timed. In weekly leagues, you have to play your games and finish them within 7 days. You'll be playing with people in other continents, so your time management skills will be critical. In monthly leagues, you get about two weeks to finish your games, so that's a bit easier. And you'll be playing between 7 and 11 games simultaneously. You'll need space in the game app for that many simultaneous games, so you're going to need the paid version of Upwords. Some players join the weekly and monthly leagues, so they play about 20 games simultaneously. Keep that in mind. It can be a big commitment in time when you play league, but you don't have to play everything, you should just play whatever you are comfortable with.
We have a number of leagues:
- UpFlash League - for Upwords. 7 days to play up to 7 games, Thursday to Thursday.
- The Upwords League - preliminaries last two weeks and you play up to 9 games in those two weeks. Everyone goes to a final, and you could be playing up to 9 games in the finals. Starts on the 7th of each month, ends on the 7th of each month.
- SkyFall League - for Upwords. It replaces the defunct Skywords League which was for the Skywords app. Every two weeks, you play a random group of players, no more than four opponents.
- Whopper League - for Upwords. Lasts all month, you have up to seven opponents, but you play three games in the month with each opponent. Starts and ends on the first of the month.
- Ladder League - for Upwords. Lasts two weeks, you have up to five opponents, but your opponents are not randomly assigned. They are always close to you in strength.
These leagues play all year, every week and every month, no breaks. You are welcome to start with any event, and stop at the end of any event. You don't have to sign up for a whole year. If you can't complete an event, let us know and we can take you out of the event.
And we have a regular montly tournament. Each event lasts one month. Starts on the first of the month, ends on the 26th of each month. Five rounds of five days each. You play only opponent each round. This is lightweight, but you are playing against opponents rated about the same as you. Only problem - you must finish each game within five days.
We also have the In-Betweenies. These are unstructured, untimed leagues that you can play at any time. This is for Upwords. Add your name to the list, challenge other players, or wait for them to challenge you. No time limits, just fun play with our regulars.
We have three ranking schemes for each league, so you can compare yourself to other players and see where you fit. There's the Top 20 based on your wins. There's the League Points ranking, which is based on your wins in each group. This is a weighted ranking. And now we have League Rankings based on Elo Ratings.
If you want to get started, then join this website. We'll take you through a one-week Welcome League to get you familiar with league play, and then you can join any of the regular leagues.